Saturday, December 19, 2009

Review of picks

Can it be true? I am writing for the third time this week on my blog. I guess it really is the holiday season, how else would I have so much time to write here? Haha. Ok lets start off with some review on my picks so far.

NOL...I remember picking shipping as one of my favorites going into the next year. I stick to this because I do believe that the better results will be reflected in 1Q10. Goldman has just issued a buy call for this last week, setting the 12 month target at $2.20 so it shows that they are thinking the same thing as I did. I do believe that Asian shippers look like they are going to be strong and NOL is well positioned to benefit from this. Also bearing in mind that they have done their equity raising, so funding fears have abated and now its time to focus on improving business performance.

Trump Dragon...The sleeping dragon seems to have awaken after a month and a half of hybernation. I still like the story of Baijiu, especially after my trip to China earlier this month. However one worry I have about this particular counter is that they have to deliver on their promises. The past 2 quarters have been poor in terms of operating results and they blamed it all on the change in product mix. So they will have to deliver over the next few quarters of 2010. The deal to buy Ruyang Dukang has been delayed for 2 weeks till Jan 15 2010, this is something that I am conerned about too. For people who have studied this deal will know that Kwei Zhou Moutai tried to buy this distillery but the deal fell through, so it keeps us sober to the fact that this is no done deal by any means. Gut feel tells me it will be moving strongly till the end of the year. But I do think that I will be taking some profits off the table for this one soon.

Ziwo...This is a company that is still a work in progress. It seems to have fizzled off after my call. I am only concerned about the loss of interest from investors, however the company is still on the right track for some good results going forward. Patience is going to be the key word for this one.

Lion Asia Pac...I really liked this company but I did say that the key risk is overpaying for Polaris metals. It does seem that it will be going that way. So KIV this stock and see how things pan out. However the value is still here and it takes time for value to shine through.

Reyoung...It has been stuck here for some time. Results were good and still showing good organic growth. Setting up the JV in the US recently is a good step forward for the company and I maintain my stance that this is a company to look out for. The support at $0.30 looks like a very patient accumulator for the company.

New stocks to look out for:

Tat Hong...Major laggard, ready for a jump very soon.

Hwa Hong...I know...alot of Hongs, but this company has shown a lot of positive initiatives. A sleeping giant awakening. Selling their insurance business is a good step forward and transforming into a full fledged investment company. One to look out for in 2010. Special dividend could be in the offing here. NAV of $0.55 but I think it could trade at a premium.

Hong Leong Asia...Good news, good news and more good news. The past 2 months have been great for this company. I think this will continue into 2010. Flushed with cash and another special dividend candidate in the making. Promising and strongly backed by the Kweks. What else can you ask for?

Have many more picks but typing is very tiring...having a stiff shoulder right now.

I never run out of ideas, but I just feel that if I had to write it all at once, I will need a symphony pillow and the newest Osim chair. So for those of you who have made money from the picks and decided to buy me these items, please feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance.

SVI

No comments:

Post a Comment